Sunday, August 15, 2010

A couple of my favorite finishes

Well, I didn't get anything finished since my last post.  I have to be honest and say that I didn't even try to finish anything.  So, I will share a couple of finishes from a while ago.  The first is from Blackbird Designs' book "Warm Hearts".  Unfortunately, the pattern is out of print.


I loved creating this quilt.  I'd wanted to make something with a dark background and when I saw this pattern knew it was the one.  This is what the quilt was supposed to look like.  I often don't follow the pattern in quilting or cross stitch. 


One of my favorite cross stitch finishes is from another out of print book - Sampler and Antique Needlework.  It is called a casket - kind of a scary name - but it's a wonderful piece.  I bought my casket (OK, I'm going to call it a box) when I was at a stitching retreat in Delaware.  The shop owner who was hosting the event had only one box left.  Her husband was a wood worker and had made the box.  I quickly scooped it up and am so glad I did.  Not long after the event, her husband suffered a brain aneurism and passed away.   


Yesterday I was out and about and stopped by The Busy Needle where I ran into my friends Becki and Mary.  Mary is the owner of Ozark Sampler.  We had a very nice visit and I watched them stitch.  I came home very inspired and decided to work on Happy Haunting from Shepherd's Bush.  With any luck, I might have it ready for framing by Halloween!


I have 2 1/2 Civil War Bride quilt blocks basted and ready for applique.  I hope to share at least one of them with my next post. 

Have you finished anything recently?

Kay

4 comments:

  1. Kay it was so good to visit with you, and I am excited to see you pull out your cross stitch again-you stitch much too beautifully to ever give it up completely. Becki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kay,
    You were so wise to buy the sewing casket. I have wanted to do one of these ever since I saw a pattern and casket on Mary Beale's site. I have been after my husband for quite some time to build me one, but so far I have not had any luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becki - Take care of that knee!! Can't wait to see your finished needlepoint.

    Jean - Maybe stronger "encouragement" to your DH. Something like no dinner for you until I see some progress on my casket!

    Kay

    ReplyDelete