I'm not sure why this block gave me such fits. First, I used a different stem fabric. Got the stems made and pinned in place only to discover they were too wide. Rather than take the time to remake them, I carefully folded the edges under to make them the correct size. They still didn't look right so I threw them away and went back to the stem fabric I'd used on previous blocks. Perfect.....at least the stems were......
Next came the vase. I just knew the dark fabric that is now the apples would make a perfect vase. Rather than waste fabric (Heaven forbid I might run out of fabric!) I audition using a template. First, draw the shape on a piece of plain paper.
Next, cut out on the line to create a stencil. Place the stencil over fabric to determine the best use of the fabric.
Creating a stencil helps me zero in on the fabric. I often see details I would not have otherwise noticed. Now that the vase was perfect, it was time to move on to the flowers. You may notice there is a flower missing. That's because I couldn't decide what fabric to use for it. The block was becoming a chore so I decided to throw caution to the wind and omit the flower; replacing it with a bud.
I fussy cut my daisies and buds. Here's what the fabric looks like off the bolt.
And here's what it looks like when it's fussy cut to create flowers and buds.
Block 5 took longer than blocks 1-4 combined (at least it felt that way!). While I was on a roll, I went ahead and prepared block #6. I am almost finished with it and will share it soon.
Hope you have a great week. I know I plan to!