Thursday, September 25, 2014

A couple of finishes in time for Halloween

As a child I never went trick or treating, I never went to a Halloween party and bobbed for apples, I never had a Halloween costume......I didn't miss festivities associated with Halloween but did always enjoy the change from fall to winter that occurred around the holiday. 

As an adult, I enjoy creating pieces to celebrate the fall season.  These two small wall hangings are not my designs but were a lot of fun to stitch.  Both are Jo Ann Mullaly designs (with my modifications).

The first, We're not Scary, says "Come play with us on Halloween.  We're not as scary as we seem".  It's a combination of embroidery, wool applique, and simple piecing. 

 
The second says "October brings black cats, scary jacks, flying bats, witches, ghosts, haunted houses, spiders weaving, trick or treating".  I like it all except spiders weaving -- probably should have replaced that little phrase. 

 
On both pieces I stitched through the background fabric and a piece of batting.  I love the resulting look.

3 comments:

  1. Darling Halloween embroidery pieces; love the homespun plaids with BOO and the appliqued pumpkin. Thanks for sharing.
    Launa

    ReplyDelete